Monday, January 16, 2012

Daytona News Journal Santa letter writing

Each year the local newspaper and area businesses sponsor a Santa letter writing contest. I try to enter each student and this year the Daytona Museum of Arts and Science hosted the party. Santa was on hand to see the boys and girls. I took a few pictures of our firsties! We enjoyed punch and cookies and even visited part of the Museum.  Winning letters are published in a special insert a few weeks later.  We were so lucky since our very own Cate won for the 1st grade division. YEAH Cate! She won a $25 giftcard to Target. Let me tell you the rest of the story. Cate was in Mrs. Zaehring's Kindergarten last year. She has a donor that gives each child $5 to spend on supplies and maybe add a little extra to pay it forward to a needy family. Each year Mrs. Zaehring invites the Salvation Army to pick up ALL that the kids and family bring in to share with a family. Cate and her family were part of this project last year. Cate used her gift card to buy items and then took them to Mrs. Zaehring to use for the annual project.  It makes me proud to even know such thoughtful people.  I don't know of many who know the story but it gives me goosebumps when I think about it.  I hope to donate to such a worthy cause next year! On an even more special note...I think I have had my class enter this each year since it started and encouraged my own children to enter each year.  This year was Kaile's last entry since she will go to middle school next year.  She WON for the 5th grade division.  She asked Santa to keep the soldiers safe since we are free because they fight for us each day.  It was a proud moment for me since my dad served in the Air Force for 22 years.  We love you Agong and pray for a safe return for all the soldiers.

No comments: