Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Chance to Share

I have to say I love what I do. Each year I get the chance to impact a child's life with lifelong skills like adding and subtracting, discovering a favorite book, or watching their eyes go big with a science experiment. One of my favorite things is technology. I LOVE my Promethean ActivBoard and my teaching has changed over the last 7 years with the interactivity of my students. I believe I am a better teacher with it. Along comes Apple and the iTouches and iPad and I want my students to experience the future. Problem is there is a shortage on funds. Thanks to my fabulous hubby I get an iPad and then there are the parents with some iTouches...firsties love it! Of course, we love the apps but then there is SonicPics, taking pictures and recording video, writing stories, creating ePub books, reading QR codes, using Edmodo and the many features...and with 1st graders! At the last School Board meeting a group of teachers were on the agenda to share Project TIDES. My friend Steve Waterman headed a $730,000 project that changed our district, teachers, and children. Some of his project teachers shared their learning and then children talked to the Board about how the technology helps to enhance their learning. Then my friend Robert Miller shared his class website his "flipped classroom." Truly a pioneer he introduced us to something new and exciting that I am sure we will hear more about in the future. The student from his class was so excited to share what happens behind the scenes and the knowledge he has gained in class.
Next was our turn. My sister-in-law and I addressed the Board to share how we use technology to enhance our curriculum. I thought I would bring my own children and two first graders to walk around and share our accomplishments. It was such a highlight to see them interact with the Superintendent and School Board members. I have to say they seemed pretty impressed with our first graders and what they demonstrated so effortlessly. I was so proud! Thank you to Kaile, Carson, Cate, Andrew, their families, Steve, Robert, Cassy, the Superintendent, School Board members and our principal, Mrs. Russell for the chance to share.

1 comment:

Cassy Jurgensen said...

Please tell your little ones who came to the presentation that they TOTALLY ROCKED!!! They impressed all of the board members with their vast knowledge. A big thumbs up to them all!!