Saturday, August 22, 2020

Shelter Building

Hurricane Season is a very real thing here in Florida! My parents lost their house to Hurricane Andrew while my brother and I were at Florida State University. It was devastating to see what a hurricane can do to a home, a family, and a community.  There are so many things that are different for Floridians after Hurricane Andrew. I am sure STEM careers has something to do with that right?
Our study started with learning about hurricanes and the different levels. Next came the challenge to build a shelter to keep your family dry with limited materials with some choice. I introduced the materials with a $ amount attached to each. We formed groups to then brainstorm ideas of shelters but wait there was a budget of only $10. Collaboration in groups was an experience for the students. It is sometimes difficult to show your diagram to others, share thoughts behind the design, and then decide which pieces of each you will use for building. This is a process and teaching the students to go through this process takes time. Each grouping is different so there lies another opportunity to learn from another and grow as STEM student. I love watching the students grow throughout the years. Building seems to be the most fun time for students. They are eager to put their plans into action! Materials are flying off the carts and out of the boxes. Teaching students how to use tape is something I learned early on in teaching STEM. I cannot tell  you the number of times A student has used a 4 inch piece of tape to then apply in vertically rather than horizontal and waste tape. Some projects I limit the tape but this build I did not. Students could opt for wax paper, aluminum foil and color paper but those priced were for individual sheets. 
Well maybe the testing is the BEST part...To meet the challenge was to keep the family dry. Things to think about were yes you needed a roof but a floor for your shelter? way in and out? what materials to use? They knew I would use a watering can to create a "hurricane". I know the wind was missing but we talked about how that would look as well.  I do have some videos of the moments when we soaked the shelters. The reflection piece is what I should have filmed so you could see and hear their learning and maybe just maybe one of them will create something to help families during hurricane season.



No comments: