Sunday, August 2, 2020

Best People

Over my 26 years I have met hundreds of people, little friends, parents, teachers, and staff.  Sometimes we take a moment to say thank you to people we meet along the journey but far too often they leave and we missed the chance to say their presence is missed. They move on to the next chapter and we find the replacement  person is nice enough but just not them. I have met some pretty incredible people in my 26 years...

Debbie is in the black shirt and she was our registrar extraordinaire before her retirement. She was always willing to put in extra work to make sure the job got done and on time.  There were times we had to make sure grades were posted correctly when others made mistakes. She was resourceful and if she didn't know something she would research or call someone to learn.
 Our special area team with Debbie on her last day.
 Her last day at school with some of the fifth graders she had been photographing all year for their end of year slide show.
 Debbie's mom and dad at school on her last day of school-Happy retirement!! Her dad used to be our tax guy way back when. Small world! Enjoy every minute of it!

 Amanda Serrano is a gem. I met her years ago when her mom was my assistant while I taught Vacation Bible School at South Daytona Baptist Church. That year her granddaughter was entering first grade and I was blessed to have this family cross my doorway. Amanda is a go getter. She is a worker. She wants to be the best in everything she does. She is about the kids always. They work hard but she has researched methods to have her students perform and if they have trouble she makes sure to enlist help. The coolest thing? She is bilingual and for our Spanish speaking children she teaches in both english and spanish?!? I am in amazement of her often.  She has a treasure chest where the students can make a deal with rewards earned throughout the week and year.
 My sweet friend has been saving tickets and wanted to spend them on me :( yes ugly cry it is! I am the proud owner of sunglasses and Play Dough thanks to Mason. Thank you Mason and Mrs. Serrano for making me feel like I am important.
 This is my principal, Mr. Bronson. I happened to be in the office one day when these 2nd graders were there to share their positive referrals from their teacher. Do you notice Mr. Bronson's pink shirt? Well I did and it means the world to me.  When I was diagnosed last year it there was worry on my part of how I would get through the treatments in front of the students. I honestly didn't know how I was going to make it and not effect the students.  Mr. Bronson did not hesitate with making sure I was taken care of from the start. Schedules and appointments were shifted to minimize disruption and there isn't a day that goes by that I am not thankful for the support of my administration.
Speaking of support and love-these are my cafeteria ladies or should I say-our cafeteria ladies!  Always a smile, nice word, and just a feel of support when you see them whether you are at school or out and around Port Orange. Love them and they make the BEST Thanksgiving dinner around!
 This is my special area team. We celebrate birthdays and meet weekly to talk over strategy and kids.  Even during our time with distance learning last year we still met on Zoom each week.  It was a highlight because these people lift you up. We laugh and joke but when it gets time to work we are all in for one another. My team helped pick up the slack when I needed them for appointments or just not feeling well. There were notes and flowers and just a place where I knew they had my back. Just some of the most important, best people around!
Years ago we started Parents Night Out, modeled after Port Orange Elementary.  One Friday a month parents would entrust us with their children from 5:30-8:30pm while they had a might out. It was a fundraiser and teachers volunteered to manage stations and supervision during centers, dinner and a movie.  Our local movie theater provided popcorn as our preferred business partner. Funds were used for technology, teachers to attend conferences, and other needed materials for school-wide-use. When I got sick last year these people here did not want me to work Parents Night Out.  They wanted me to be at home with my own children and husband to rest after working all week. They made sure the families that trusted us had teachers volunteer on those Friday nights. They made sure the show must still go on and I am forever grateful for them all!
These people are the BEST!! These are my marigolds. You have to find your people, your tribe, your ride or die. These ladies have made me a better person because of their friendship. After diagnosis there wasn't a week that went by without a note, flowers, inspiration, or laugh. If I could be half the person they were to me... They will never know how very much each and every one of them means to me.  Thank you for everything. I can never repay you. Love you all...

No comments: