Saturday, April 4, 2020

World wind of appointments...

They don't tell you all the appointments you will then have to attend. MRI is first and that is what I got on my 48th birthday.  It wasn't too bad. Just hearing them tell you if you move we will have to restart the test and then might be later today or maybe next week...I was still for the whole time.  By the way there are no earplugs or earphones you listen to the thumping and pounding the whole time.  It wasn't that bad and over before you know i, if you close your eyes like I do.

Next you meet with the surgeon and Dr. Wilkey in Daytona Beach, Fl is amazing.  She was so thorough with her explanation and answered every question I had written down in my pink cancer notebook. We were hoping for a lumpectomy but there was the genetic testing and what happens if it is in my lymph nodes? All the uncertain means you take precautions and meet with everyone you MIGHT need to have on your team to fight cancer.

Then there is the radiation oncologist meeting and he was super nice and helpful. Dr. Factor explained it would be a routine once we found out about the tumor and what it contained.  Almost equated it to a bad sunburn but to make sure the area was taken care of and kill any remaining cells where the tumor was in my body.

Then the plastic surgeon in case of a mastectomy, which we needed to wait to hear back from the genetic test.  At one point during the reconstructive talk I had to have him stop because it was not a breast enhancement procedure it is a reconstructive where they go in and add a little each time until the achieved result. Oh my goodness women who go through this have to be the strongest women of all time.  I could barely talk about it without tearing up.

Then there is the medical oncologist meeting, Dr. Chew. I of course said all my doctors are not thinking I will have to go through chemotherapy so this meeting was merely a formality.  He was pleasant and our children are in band together.  We will wait for testing the Oncotype-DX of the tumor but everything will be fine.

The whole month of October it was one meeting after another but I have to give it to Florida Health Care the appointments were planned and moving right along to prepare for a lumpectomy the first week of November.  I had all of the prerequisites in place so we could tackle this breast cancer and come out on the other side.  Family was informed and questions were asked and we felt like we were as prepared as anyone could be facing the circumstances.

No comments: